What is the Schools Sports Grant?
The school sports grant is additional funding provided by London Sport, used by the school to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport on offer.
It can be used to:
- develop or add to the PE and sport activities that your school already offers
- make improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
It could include:
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively
- introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- run sport competitions
- increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- run sports activities with other schools
At St Nicholas School we use the grants to ensure that all pupils receive 90 minutes of PE a week, enhanced by the use of specialist coaches.
Measuring the Impact of School Sports Grant
Through the use of school sports grant, we have:
- Increased proportion of time spent in formal PE activities
- Engaged older pupils with a local partner (CPFC) to encourage lifelong interest in sport
- Increased pupil participation in after school and lunchtime clubs
- Provided access to sporting activity for pupils with autism and other disabilities
- Created a culture of enjoyment of physical activity